Starting this Sunday it is National Vegetarian Week 2015, and this week has been National Sandwich Week so with that in mind we have combined both and found a delicious Barbecue Baked Tofu Sandwich Recipe for you.
This isn’t however just targeted at vegetarians out there. It’s really tasty regardless of your eating habits and choices.
Now Tofu isn’t a favourite of everyone, and that includes vegetarians, however if you learn how to infuse it with flavour and amp up the texture, it opens up all kinds of meat-free food doors, like tacos, salad toppings, and in this case sandwiches.
Give this a try as we think you’ll love it. It’s easy to make, and it’s crispy, smokey, sweet, and messy in the very best way.
Seasoned Baked Tofu Strips
• 1 package extra firm tofu, preferably organic
• 1 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
• 1 tablespoon arrowroot powder
• 1/4 teaspoon fine salt
• 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
• 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
Smoky Barbecue Sauce
• 1 teaspoon garlic powder
• 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
• 1 cup ketchup
• 1/3 cup molasses
• 1/3 cup maple syrup
• 3 teaspoons liquid smoke
• 6 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
• 2 tablespoon vegan Worcestershire sauce
• 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
• 1 cup chopped napa cabbage
• 4 whole grain hamburger buns
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place a rack in the top 1/3 of the oven.
2. Cut the tofu in half, then in half again so you have 4 strips. Cut each strip in half again. Wrap in a clean kitchen towel, place a cutting board on top of the wrapped tofu, and top with something heavy (I like using my dutch oven). Let sit for 15 minutes.
3. After the 15 minutes are up, transfer the tofu to a bowl and drizzle with olive oil. Stir gently with a spoon, or with clean hands, to ensure each piece is coated. In a small bowl, combine the starch, salt and spices, then sprinkle over the tofu, gently stirring again to coat.
4. Transfer the tofu to a parchment-lined baking sheet. Bake for 20 minutes on each side.
5. Combine all barbecue sauce ingredients in a saucepan, bring to a light boil, reduce heat to medium low, and simmer for 20 minutes, until thickened.
6. Toast the buns to your liking, then spoon bbq sauce on the bottom. Top with 3 strips of tofu, napa cabbage, and more bbq sauce.
For this and many more great recipes please head on over to veggieandthebeastfeast.com