Pancake Day (Tuesday February 28th this year) is one of the most universally loved food days. It’s the one day of the year we can all enjoy a host of delicious naughty treats all smothered over a pancake or four, and not feel guilty for doing it.
Of course the plan is that you are then supposed to give up the treats for Lent, but we’re not judging if you don’t.
The beauty of pancakes is that almost anything goes with them. There really is no right and wrong when it comes to pancake filling - sweet, savoury, or a brand new combination……take a chance or play it safe……just have fun and enjoy it.
For this recipe we chose one with the most incredibly fluffy and light pancakes you could ever imagine, and flavoured with cinnamon and orange then topped with fresh figs and date syrup.
Fluffy And Fruity Pancakes Recipe
Prep time: 4 mins / Cook time: 6 mins / Total time: 10 mins
- ¾ cup white spelt flour
- 1 tbsp arrowroot powder (or cornstarch)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- (Optional flavourings) ¼ tsp ground cinnamon, ⅛ tsp ground cardamom and zest of 1 orange
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- ½ cup dairy-free milk
- 2 tbsp rice bran oil (or other mild flavoured oil)
- Syrup (we used date syrup but maple syrup would be delicious too)
- Fresh fruit (we used figs)
- Heat a dry frying pan on a low heat. A small non-stick works best but use your first try to assess if you need to add a small amount of oil.
- Mix the dry ingredients together in a large bowl.
- Stir in the wet ingredients until well combined and the texture is runny but thick.
- Ladle approximately ¼ cup of the batter onto the dry pan and cook for 20-30 seconds before carefully flipping onto the other side. Cook for another 20-30 seconds.
- Repeat with the rest of the batter.
- Serve and enjoy!
For this and more great recipes please head on over to wallflowerkitchen.com