When the weather is dismal and depressing a sure-fire way to raise the spirits is with a great breakfast recipe. So why not give yourself a weekend treat of Banana Pancakes with Caramelised Bananas and Toasted Pecans, and then retire back to bed late into the morning?!
We should never be surprised when the weather goes bad - dark, cold, rain, sleet, snow, wind – and that’s just one morning! It makes us feel better to complain about it. But what makes us feel even better is snuggling back down in a warm bed and not having to get out because it’s the weekend.
You could even top that if you can talk someone into making this delicious recipe for Banana Pancakes……although these are so delicious we don’t think you’ll actually mind getting up to make them. After all you can still retire back to bed afterwards, get comfy and enjoy them.
Banana Pancakes with Caramelised Bananas and Toasted Pecans Recipe
- 4 tbsp butter
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 under ripe bananas
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 ripe banana
- 1 ½ cups whole milk
- 3 large eggs - separated
- 1 stick of butter - 6 tbsp melted, 2 tbsp for coating the griddle
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Maple syrup
- Toasted pecans
- Sift flour, baking powder, sugar and salt into a large bowl.
- Using a stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, whisk the ripe bananas with a small amount of milk. Slowly add the remaining milk. Separate the eggs into 2 separate bowls. Yolks in one bowl, whites in the other. Add the egg yolks, melted butter and vanilla extract to the mixer, whip until combined with the milk and banana mixture. Whisk banana and milk mixture into dry ingredients until just combined; batter will be slightly lumpy. Do not over mix.
- Place egg whites in a separate mixing bowl. Using an electric hand mixer, whisk until medium peaks form. Gently fold half of the egg whites into the batter with a rubber spatula. Gently fold in remaining whites. The egg whites should not be fully incorporated into the batter.
- Heat a griddle until hot, at 350° F. Add a little of the remaining unmelted butter to hot griddle. Add a scant ½ cup pancake batter and let set. When bubbles begin to form, lift pancake; once golden brown, flip over. Cook until golden brown on both sides. Store in an oven preheated to 250° until ready to serve.
- For the caramelised bananas, heat a medium sized heavy bottom sauce pan over low heat and melt butter. Add brown sugar and cinnamon and stir until combined and sugar starts to bubble and dissolve. Slice bananas lengthwise ⅓ “ thick. Lay the bananas into the caramel and cook for two minutes on each size.
- Serve pancakes with maple syrup, caramelized bananas and toasted pecans.
For this and more great recipes please head on over to themodernproper.com