Bank Holiday’s and Barbecues are made for each other. Great friends, food, drink, and occasionally the weather. If you missed out last week don’t worry as another one is along at the end of the month, and to prepare for it here’s some delicious kebab skewers recipes.
A staple of the British summer even when it’s raining who doesn’t love a BBQ?
Cooking over flames is one of the oldest and most wonderful ways to eat. It differentiates us from animals, but it is still very primal, and let’s face it… grilled food, almost magically tastes better.
That is why the summer season sees the sales of charcoal and gas go up as everyone takes to the garden to get grilling.
Because barbecues come in all shapes and size these days, from charcoal or gas, to electric and slow-cooker styles there is always an option for wherever you want to throw a party.
But more importantly it is the end result that it is what it is all about, and these recipes don't disappoint. They are relatively easy to prepare and are bursting with flavor, and because you build them yourself, how much of what meat and veg goes on the skewers is very much up to you.
- 2 cups plain Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for brushing and drizzling
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest, plus 2 tablespoons juice and 3 whole lemons, quartered
- 2 teaspoons coriander seeds, toasted and crushed
- 1 tablespoon sweet paprika
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 3/4 pound boneless lamb loin, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 3/4 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 cocktail tomatoes, or 1 pint cherry tomatoes
- 1 large red onion, cut into 8 wedges
- 4 ounces feta, crumbled (1 cup)
- 6 pocketless pitas or flatbreads
- 1 English cucumber, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced crosswise
- Coarsely chopped fresh dill, for serving
- Combine 1/2 cup yogurt, oil, lemon zest and juice, coriander seeds, and paprika in a bowl; add 1 1/2 teaspoons salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Mix well. Divide mixture between 2 resealable plastic bags; add lamb to one and chicken to the other. Seal bags after removing any air; massage meat to evenly distribute marinade. Let stand at room temperature 1 hour, or refrigerate up to 1 day (remove 1 hour before grilling).
- Thread meat onto long metal skewers (or soaked wooden skewers) with a lemon quarter on each end, leaving 1/4 inch between each piece to ensure even cooking. Thread tomatoes and onion onto separate skewers, then brush with oil. Season meat and vegetables with salt and pepper. Stir together remaining 1 1/2 cups yogurt, feta, and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Transfer to a serving bowl; drizzle with oil and sprinkle with pepper.
- Preheat grill for direct-heat cooking (medium-high on a gas grill). Brush grates with oil. Grill chicken until just cooked through, 10 to 12 minutes. Grill onions, turning a few times, until charred in places and softened, 8 to 10 minutes. Grill lamb, turning a few times, until charred in places, 6 to 8 minutes for medium-rare. Grill tomatoes until charred in places, 4 to 5 minutes. Transfer meat and grilled tomatoes and vegetables to a serving platter. Grill pitas, flipping once, until charred in places, 1 to 2 minutes; immediately wrap in a clean kitchen towel to steam and soften until ready to serve.
- Serve meat, onions, and tomatoes with pitas, yogurt sauce, cucumber, and dill, with grilled lemon wedges alongside.
For more recipes like this please visit marthastewart.com
- 4 garlic cloves, finely grated
- 1 (3") piece ginger, finely grated
- 1 (14-ounce) can coconut milk
- 3 teaspoons finely grated lime zest
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs, trimmed, cut into 1 1/2" cubes
- 1 medium eggplant, cut into 1 1/2" cubes
- 1 small red onion, cut into 2" pieces
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes
- Canola or vegetable oil (for grill)
- Naan or flatbread, cilantro, lime wedges, and plain yogurt (for serving)
- 14 (8–12-inch-long) metal or bamboo skewers soaked in water at least 1 hour
- Whisk garlic, ginger, coconut milk, lime zest and juice, tomato paste, salt, turmeric, cayenne, and cardamom in a large bowl. Transfer half of marinade to another large bowl. Add chicken to 1 bowl of marinade; toss to coat. Add eggplant, onion, and tomatoes to the other bowl; toss to coat. Cover and chill at least 1 hour.
- Thread each ingredient onto its own set of skewers: divide chicken among 6 skewers, tomatoes among 4, eggplant among 3, and onion on 1.
- Prepare a grill or grill pan for high heat; generously oil grates. Grill skewers, turning often, until well charred and cooked through, about 5 minutes for tomatoes, 10 minutes for chicken, and 15 minutes for eggplant and onion.
- Just before serving, toast naan on grill until warmed through, about 2 minutes. Top grilled chicken and vegetables with cilantro and serve with naan, lime wedges, and yogurt alongside.
- Ingredients can be marinated 1 day ahead; cover and chill. Skewers can be assembled 1 day ahead; cover and chill.
For more recipes like this please visit epicurious.com
- 2 tablespoons lemon pepper seasoning
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 cloves of garlic, grated
- 1/3 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/3 cup low-sodium tamari
- 1/3 cup extra light olive oil
- 2 pounds top sirloin (or cut of your choice), cut into bite-size chunks
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 orange bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 yellow bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 a yellow onion, cut into large pieces
- 1/2 a red onion, cut into large pieces
- 8 ounces white or cremini (baby bella) mushrooms
- In a medium bowl combine the lemon pepper, ginger, onion powder, garlic, sugar, tamari and olive oil. Whisk to combine.
- Place prepared veggies in a re-sealable bag. Pour 1/3 cup of the marinade overtop and toss to coat. Squeeze most of the air out of the bag before sealing.
- Place the cubed beef in to a separate re-sealable bag. Pour the remaining marinade over the beef, toss to coat and squeeze most of the air out of the bag before sealing.
- Marinate for 8 hours or overnight.
- Alternate threading the vegetables and beef onto metal skewers. Preheat your grill to medium to medium-high or 400°. Once hot, grill the kebabs for 4 to 5 minutes before turning and grilling for 4 more minutes or until the beef is cooked to your preference.
- Serve with white or brown rice, cauliflower rice or couscous and a little Sriracha for some heat.
For more recipes like this please visit simplyscratch.com