A sweet treat is the perfect way to finish the week, so why not get creative in the kitchen this weekend, with the Chocolate Bourbon Pecan Pie Cupcakes.
A moreish Thanksgiving classic has been given a contemporary twist, combining a fluffy chocolate and bourbon sponge with a nutty pecan pie filling. These tasty cupcakes are finished with a swirl of butter pecan frosting and a sprinkling of chopped nuts.
Be sure to enjoy yours with a cup of tea or the rest of your bourbon!
• 1 cup bourbon
• 1 cup canola oil
• ¾ cup all-purpose flour
• 1 ¼ cups sugar
• ¾ teaspoon salt
• 1 ½ teaspoons baking soda
• 2 large eggs
• 2/3 cups greek yoghurt
Pecan Pie Filling:
• 2 tablespoons cornstarch
• 1/4 cup cold water
• 1/2 cup brown sugar
• 3/4 cup corn syrup
• 3 eggs
• 1/4 teaspoon salt
• 1 cup chopped pecans
• 2 tablespoons bourbon
• 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Butter Pecan Frosting:
• 1/4 cup butter
• 2/3 cups heavy cream
• 1 cup + 2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
• 1/2 cup butter, softened
• 3 cups powdered sugar
• 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, divided
• 2 tablespoons bourbon
• 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
• 1 1/2 cup finely chopped raw pecans + 18 whole pecans
1. Preheat oven to 180C. Line two standard cupcake trays with 18 cases.
2. In a bowl whisk together the bourbon, canola oil and cocoa powder until smooth.
3. In a separate bowl, beat the eggs and greek yoghurt with a mixer. Slowly add the other mixture, combining the two on a medium speed until silky smooth. Beat in the sugar.
4. Slowly add the flour, salt and baking soda, combining on a low speed.
5. Fill the cases 3/4 full and bake for 18-22 minutes. Allow to cool completely before filling.
6. Make the pecan pie filling: combine 1/4 cup of cold water with 2 tablespoons cornstarch and whisk until smooth. Add the brown sugar, corn syrup, eggs, salt and corn starch mixture to a pan. Bring the mixture to a boil, whisking constantly for 5 minutes. Remove the mixture from the heat and stir in the pecans, bourbon and vanilla. Allow the mixture to cool and thicken, then place in a fridge.
7. Make the frosting: Preheat oven to 180C. Line a baking sheet with foil.
8. In a sauce pan, melt 1/4 cup butter, cream and brown sugar. Bring to a boil and boil for a minute, then remove from the heat. Place the bowl in a freezer (or fridge for longer) for 15-20 minutes to cool.
9. Whisk together the bourbon, 1 tablespoon vanilla, 2 tablespoons brown sugar and cinnamon. Add pecans and stir to coat evenly, transfer the nuts to a baking pan. Toss the pecans with 1 tablespoon butter, allow to cool for 10 minutes, then set aside.
10. Grab the cooled butter mixture and add the remaining room temperature butter, vanilla and powdered sugar to the bowl and beat until mixed. Add in 1/2 cup of chopped pecans.
11. Assemble the cupcakes: Cut a cone shaped piece from the middle of each cake. Fill the hole with the pecan pie filling, then add a swirl of frosting with a piping bag.
12. Finish with a sprinkling of chopped pecans and 1 whole pecan if desired.
Find this and more tasty recipes at Half Baked Harvest