This week is National Doughnut Week, and yes that may sound like just an excuse to indulge in sweet sticky treats……and it is partly…..but it is also raising money for a worthwhile cause. Our offering is a delicious recipe for Chocolate Doughnuts with Pink Berry Glaze.
National Doughnut Week is a unique opportunity for bakers, cafes and coffee shops across the UK to raise funds for The Children’s Trust and is sponsored by CSM Bakery Solutions. For each doughnut sold during National Doughnut Week they are asking you to make a donation to The Children’s Trust – the UK’s leading charity for children with brain injury.
And in case you are feeling bad for tucking into them you might be pleased to know that there are on the guilt-free side of things – they are vegan and are made using as little sugar as possible.
The texture for these are dense and moist, and the chocolate taste is such a good pairing with the berry icing. The secret of this recipe are the cooked chickpeas, which keeps them together without adding any preservatives, and also adding fiber, protein and softness to them, and if you want to indulge further then add a vegan chocolate sauce drizzle!
Chocolate Doughnuts with Pink Berry Glaze Recipe
Prep time 10 mins / Cook time 15 mins / Total time 25 mins
• 1 cup whole wheat flour
• ½ cup unsweetened nut milk (almond milk can be used)
• 1 cup cooked chickpeas, drained
• ½ cup coconut sugar
• ½ cup vegan chocolate, melted over simmering water
• ½ tsp baking soda
• ½ tsp baking powder
• 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
• A pinch sea salt
• Coconut oil to grease the pan
• Crushed almonds, to garnish
For the Berry Glaze
• ½ cup frozen raspberries
• 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
• 1 tbsp agave syrup
• 2 tsp arrowroot powder
For the Chocolate Drizzle
• ½ cup vegan chocolate
• 2 tbsp vegan milk
• 2 tsp coconut oil
1. Preheat the oven to 176°C/350°F.
2. Add the cooked chickpeas into the food processor and pulse to obtain a puree.
3. Add the flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, vinegar, salt and nut milk, and process to obtain a dense batter.
4. Add the melted chocolate and pulse to incorporate.
5. Grease the doughnuts pan with coconut oil, then distribute evenly the batter.
6. Bake for 15 minutes, then remove from the oven and set aside to cool.
7. In a small sauce pan add the raspberries and lemon juice, and bring to boil over low heat, then let simmer for five minutes.
8. Strain the mixture to remove the seeds and peel, then transfer the resulted juice back into the sauce pan. Add the arrowroot, mix to incorporate then bring to boil and simmer for a few minutes stirring continuously until it starts to thicken.
9. Remove from the heat and set aside to cool.
10. In a small sauce pan add the vegan chocolate, vegan milk and coconut oil and place over a pan with simmering water.
11. Mix continuously until the chocolate is melted and you obtain a dense sauce, then set aside to cool.
12. Spread the raspberry glaze on top of each doughnut, then drizzle with the chocolate sauce, top with crushed almonds and serve.
For this and more great recipes please head on over to theawesomegreen.com and for more information on National Doughnut Week please see here.