We love a spot of fine dining here at Cruise HQ and one of our most favoured cuisines has to be seafood. While many people fear the task, mussels really aren't that difficult to cook so why not broaden your culinary horizons with this easy recipe for creamy spiced mussels.
What you'll need:
- 2kg fresh mussels
- 150ml dry white wine
- 2 shallots (finely chopped)
- 25g butter
- 1 tsp plain flour
- 1-2 tsp curry paste
- 100g crème fraîche
- chopped parsley (to serve)
1. Scrub the mussels in a large bowl of cold water and discard any that are open. Put in a large pan with the wine and bring to the boil. Once boiling, cover and shake the pan over a high heat until the mussels are open (this should take about 3-4 mins).
2. Pourthe mussels into a colander set over a large bowl to catch the juices. Discard any mussels which are unopened. Strain the cooking liquid through a sieve into a jug while keeping the mussels warm.
3. Fry the shallots in the butter in the large pan until they are softened but not browned. Stir in the flour and curry paste then cook for 1 min. Add the cooking liquid (its fine to leave out the last little bit as this can be gritty) and season with pepper. Don’t add salt, the mussel juices will be salty enough.
4. Mix the crème fraîche into the sauce, warming it through over a low heat until thick and glossy. Then, divide the mussels between four bowls and pour over the sauce. Scatter with parsley and serve with chips or bread to mop up the juices.
For more info and other great recipes visit Good Food.