If you ever thought that sandwiches were plain and boring then think again thanks to the genius that is Sandwich Cakes. A beautiful combination of a savoury sandwich with the looks of a beautiful cake.
This food creation, also known as Smorgastarta, hails from Sweden, and takes its inspiration from good old British tea sandwiches. With layers of bread, cold cuts, cheeses, veggies, and more, it's no wonder these cakes are starting to become so popular. They are starting to be served regularly at a garden parties, bridal and baby shower, and even occasions like Mother’s Day.
And for all it looks fairly complicated it is easy to transform your favorite regular sandwich into one of these eye-catching treats – you are simply layering pieces of bread and loading your favorite add-ons in between each layer, then ‘frosting’ it with cream cheese. The possibilities are pretty much endless!
Here is a typical recipe incorporating cheese, turkey, ham, bacon, lettuce, tomato, and much more.
Makes: 12 Servings / Time: 1 Hour
- Three 8-ounce packages cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1 packet ranch seasoning
- 1 1/4 cups mayonnaise
- 1 large country white boule
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 4 thin slices Cheddar
- 4 ounces thinly sliced deli ham
- 4 ounces thinly sliced deli turkey
- 2 cups shredded iceberg lettuce
- 4 strips cooked bacon
- 1 medium tomato, sliced
- 1 cup of crisps
- 1/2 cup prepared chicken salad
- 1 bunch radishes, very thinly sliced on a mandoline
- 1 cucumber, very thinly sliced on a mandoline
Special equipment: a mandoline slicer, a piping bag with a star tip.
1. In a stand mixer (or with an electric hand mixer), beat together the cream cheese, ranch seasoning and 1 cup of the mayonnaise until easily spreadable. Put one-third of the mixture into a piping bag with a star tip.
2. With a serrated knife, trim the sides of the boule until it is an even cylinder. Cut the cylinder across the radius into four 1-inch slices. Choose a serving platter and place a slice of bread in the center for the bottom layer. Position 4 squares of parchment underneath the bread to keep the serving platter clean once you begin icing.
3. Spread 1 tablespoon of the mustard onto the top of the bread. Top with the Cheddar, then the ham and turkey. Add half of the lettuce on top of the turkey. Spread the remaining 1 tablespoon mustard on one side of another slice of bread, then place it mustard-side down on top of the lettuce.
4. Spread the top of the bread with 2 tablespoons mayonnaise. Top with the bacon, tomato and remaining shredded lettuce. Spread the remaining 2 tablespoons mayonnaise on a third slice of bread, then place it mayonnaise-side down on top of the lettuce. Next, cover the top of the bread with the potato chips in a single layer. Top the crisps with the chicken salad and then the last slice of bread.
5. With a knife or offset spatula, spread the cream cheese mixture along the top and sides of the cake evenly. Pipe rows of stars onto the top and bottom edge of the cake.
6. Decorate the cake using radish and cucumber slices in a ring around the top and bottom of the cake. Shape the remaining radish and cucumber slices into roses and press into the top of the cake.
7. Serve chilled or at room temperature. Can be made ahead and refrigerated for 1 to 2 hours.
This recipe is taken from the foodnetwork.com
And below are some more aesthetically pleasing creations...